Enterprise Analyzer is a Windows-based product for comprehensive analysis of a legacy system—from analyzing the data flow of a data item to visually exploring relationships between legacy objects.
Application objects are supplied as text files and loaded through a suite of language parsers.
Use it for analyzing and documenting legacy systems at both the application and program levels.
Use Enterprise Analyzer at the application level to:
• Create diagrams of applications.
• Perform change analysis across applications.
• Estimate application complexity and effort.
Use Enterprise Analyzer at the program level to:
• Perform program analysis in stages.
• Perform impact analysis on a program.
• Model and search the repository
Enterprise Analyzer is a model-based technology that generates information about legacy applications at two levels:
- Application-level information describes the relationships between the objects that comprise an application: its programs, copybooks, JCLs, BMS files, and so forth.
- Object-level information describes the relationships between the abstract syntactical constructs that comprise an object: its sections, paragraphs, statements, conditions, variables, and so forth.
At both levels, the models are conceived as Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERDs).
Each object or construct the parser generates is modeled as an entity in one of the diagrams.
The models are represented in tree form to users.
Application and Object Level Details
- The object model for an application defines the relationships between the objects that comprise the application
- The construct model for an object defines its syntax. It shows in abstract form how the syntactical constructs that comprise the object are related
A workspace is a named container for one or more applications. Every workspace has a corresponding database repository of model objects.
- Interactive Analysis helps you to analyze legacy programs interactively, by examining synchronized, complementary views of the same information: source, context, impacts, and so forth.
- You can use Interactive Analysis to analyze procedure and data flows, stage program analyses, create a project glossary, extract business rules, and much more.
Object Pane 🡪 Select the type and Search 🡪
Context View and source view help to see the complete program flow and understand the data points, business logical flow
Advanced Search will help you to analysis code based on the selected construct . This is displayed in Code search view
Here Compute statement was analysed
The detailed documentation on Enterprise Analyzer can be found from below link
Advanced Search pane provide to do analysis on the any coding standard, business rule, data points, screen based data move , Logic Queries etc
Advanced Search pane provide selected some construct and List Source then
With in Code Search , Execute option on the Code Search View Bar helps to
- Create Rule
- Create Impact Subtree
Create Rule Dialog
New Name for Business Function and New Rule Set and Business Function, Rule set and Technical or Business description optional
Rules Created, You can View from
View -> Rules
Go to Grouping Pane to see the Rule
There is Autodetected Rule also found
From Object Pane Select the Source 🡪
Here Cobol Type selected
Program AR7200.CBL is selected
Then from you can get the program analysis form Context, Source and Code Search
View -> Data View will provide Data View of Program
View -> Data View and Context view
You can Interactively go through the code based on Data point related code flow
View -> Program Control Flow
You can Interactively go through the code based control Flow Execution
View -> Impact View
You can do Detailed Impact Analysis from Impact View Tool Bar
Reports on Affected Code – Provide report on the selected Impact Code and it highlights those line of code that affects
In conclusion, Enterprise Analyzer has got very good features and options to understand well Enterprise Application, Analyse and evaluate their specific needs and requirements for any Modernization or Migration initiatives.
We are experienced good implementation skills of these tools EDz, EAz, IDz, DBB, UCDz install, configure and customize and do training enablement. Rich experience in IBM Developer for z and IBM DBB Training by with content delivery of 5 days based on the coverage and team size of trainees.
We also explore other products from Heirlooms Computing, Micro Focus, Modern Systems for Application Analysis, Development IDE for Mainframe applications.
Contact us as firstname.lastname@example.org
for any Mainframe Training, Mainframe Modernization Training, Implementations, Mainframe Consulting engagements and customization projects.